Monday, April 6, 2009

Girls Gone Wild

This past weekend I had a fun weekend getaway with some girls from grad school We went down to Austin for a TSHA convention (Texas Speech and Hearing Association). I drove down with my dear friend, Molly, and we stayed at our friend, Kristen's parents' house. They were very generous and hospitable!
Even though I ended up losing my voice on the first day of the convention, we still had a fun time. My first semester of grad school, I was in a practicum called Early CLASS. In this practicum were 8 graduate student-clinicians. We met from 8:45 until about noon 5 days a week for this intense and challenging experience. During this time we all became very close and these girls ended up being my closest friends throughout grad school. After that practicum, we all kind of went our separate ways and pursued our own specific areas of interest, but it's always fun when we're able to reunite. This weekend was special because a few of us were able to spend some time together outside of school. We've all been pretty stressed from school, testing, and job hunting and it felt really good just to get away from Dallas for a couple of nights.
Contrary to the name of this post, we weren't really wild. By the time evening rolled around each night, we were completely exhausted from being up at 6 am, listening to speakers all day, and talking to all the exhibitors. However, we still had a good time going out to dinner and just being together.
Now, I know my family is probably interested if I got a job or not. The answer is no, however I handed out my resume to a few places and talked (as best I could with a vocal pathology) to a couple of school districts. I still need to do some researching and networking in the job search. But do not fear....the market for my field is amazing! The outlook for jobs in Speech Language Pathology is expected to increase by 11% nationwide and 30% in Texas until 2016. So, I'm feeling pretty confident about finding a job, it's just a matter of finding the place thats a good fit for me. :)

Me, Kristen, Karin, Morgan, and Molly enjoying some Mexican Martini's. Kristen's parents were so generous to buy us all dinner.

Eating dinner at the Iron Cactus-we were so exhausted from the long day and my vocal folds were so mad at me for abusing them by trying to talk all day over all the loud noise! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! Girlfriends are the greatest! Praying your voice gets better quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am reading your blog now...AND commenting since you say no one does! And all I have to say is how did you come up with such a clever title to this entry...hmmm??!!! hahaha
    Molly

    ReplyDelete