Friday, April 26, 2013

The Birth Story: Part 1

I've been wanting to post our birth story from the day it happened, but seriously, blogger moms, how on earth do you find the time to do this!!! Anyway...better late than never! Part One is the back story of my L&D and Part Two will be all about the actual L&D.

In the weeks leading up to my delivery day I was just praying and praying that I'd go into labor on my own and not have to be induced. My specialist had been saying all along that he didn't want me to go past 37 weeks due to the fact that my twins were monochorionic, meaning they share the same placenta. These types of pregnancies are higher risk than others and statistics show increased problems occurring in pregnancies that go past 37 weeks...not that I buy into all that negative talk, but that's just what doctors will tell you. My own instinct and conviction was that both of my babies were doing fine and I knew that I was doing swelling, perfect blood pressure, normal weight gain, etc. At this point, I was having a BPP (bio-physical profile) every 3 days so someone could have an eye on the babies. Each time they scored 8 out of little all-stars! I was always so proud of them! However, 3 weeks prior to delivery my specialist detected some discrepancy in their sizes during their growth scan. Baby A was measuring smaller than Baby B. I wasn't too concerned because I knew that the measurements could be off by as much as a pound and I just had conviction from the Lord that the babies were just fine.  Week 37 came and I was scheduled to deliver on that Wednesday morning. I was absolutely not ready....I didn't feel ready physically and I didn't have peace about it. I was scheduled to see my OB, Dr. Crochet, on Monday and I was praying that she would hear my concerns and be ok with letting me wait another week. Just as the Lord had answered EVERY SINGLE PRAYER throughout the pregnancy, he answered this one as well. It was the easiest conversation ever and my doctor even agreed with me that we didn't need to rush things as I was progressing so well naturally. At this point I was 3 cm dilated and probably 60% effaced. I had been walking a ton and was having tons of Braxton Hicks contractions. Prayers answered....Dr. Crochet said see you next Monday. At this point, I could tell my body was really getting close to being ready...I won't be too graphic, but things were happening. I continued envisioning myself going into labor....feeling that first painful contraction and calling Ross at work to come home or calling his parents to come pick up Julian.  Then I got a call on Wednesday. Apparently my sweet specialist, Dr. Magee, whom I loved, found out I didn't get induced that morning and said I needed to come see him.  I arranged for my sister in law to come with me and I nervously went. I hate disappointing people...especially people I like. Anyway, he did a growth scan and promptly told me that Baby A was 4 lbs 13 oz and Baby B was 7 lbs 13 oz and that I needed to go straight to labor and delivery.  I started feeling a little worry (mostly because baby A had measured 4.13 three weeks prior as well), but was able to cling to my original conviction that those measurements were off.  I even asked him to remeasure but the results were the same...actually a little worse. Then I just felt this peace that everything was going to be ok...even if I had to be induced. I knew my body was so close to going into labor on my own...unlike my experience with my first child. I asked Dr. Magee to call my OB while I was there to see what her response was and of course she acknowledged his concerns and agreed with his recommendation. So, I called Ross and had him come home from work then drove back to my house to pack a bag, eat a meal, and love on Julian before heading back to the hospital around 5 pm to check in at L&D. 


  Here we are loading up in the car to go to the hospital on 3/20/13.  Look at that BIG BELLY!!! Stay tuned for Part Two: The Birth. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment